The Algarve is an increasingly popular holiday destination for families, and that is of no surprise. There is an impressive amount of activities in the Algarve that will make any child feel in paradise. And when children feel in paradise, so do their parents. To facilitate your choice, Algarve Housing made a top ten of exciting things to do with children in the Algarve.
Top 10 best things to do with children in the Algarve:
- On number one, without doubt, free and abundant, the many beautiful beaches of the Algarve. For the small kids, beaches where a river comes in (like Ferragudo, or Bordeira or Amoreira on the west-coast) are a great choice, as water of the river is calm and warmer. But any beach of the Algarve will give endless fun of waves, shells, rocks and sand. Kids will love this!
- Very popular (therefore advisable to book tickets in advance) is Algarve’s biggest attraction: Zoo marine Albufeira. You can easily spend the day there, learning about marine eco-systems, watching dolphin shows, slide and swim, and much more.
- For the water rats small and big (and generally for the parents too!), the water parks are great fun for a family day out. Aqualand and Slide & Splash are a safe bet that everyone will have fun. An easy and nice thing to do with kids in the Algarve.
- Also on the water (because after all, it’s summer and hot), nothing more exciting than a boat trip along the coastline of the Algarve (if it’s not too long). Plenty of choice, be it exploring the caves, taking a trip on a Pirate ship, getting close to the dolphins or some more adrenaline-shooting activity on a jet-ski.
- Monkeys can get their share on Parque Aventura, either in Albufeira or Lagos, where monkey bridges, vertical nets, zip lines, cobwebs and the like have been set out in the trees for some challenging forest routes, with respect for nature and the local environment. A great way to experience nature and overcome fears.
- How about a little history? Castles spark imagination and allow boys to be knights and girls to be princesses. The castle of Silves also offers endless views and an active climb along the entire wall. Any fort or castle will be a good base for a morning or afternoon to go back in time.
- On the rainy days, or when the sun really is too hot to venture outside, Children’s Life Sciences Centre is a good choice of things to do with children in the Algarve. There is one in Faro and one in Lagos, and both offer kid-friendly activities that will spark their curiosity and teach them about modern science and technology.
- Increasingly popular and a great way to discover the inland countryside and get to know more about this animal that was so part of Portuguese culture are donkey rides. One very donkey friendly place is based near Aljezur at the West coast of the Algarve, Burros e Artes. They also offer combination-deals with arts. Great for the animal-lovers!
- Kids that want to go fast should go carting next to the International Race Track, near Portimão. Some other options include a track in Albufeira and one in Almancil.
- To finish off, another free and great option is a picnic in the countryside. Monchique offers many beautiful and shaded spots where kids can run, climb and freely discover how wonderful nature is. But any inland route will pass by some stunning places. Or go to Sitio das Fontes near Estômbar for an adventure along the shore of the Arade river and pick any spot for your family picnic.
This TOP 10 of Best things to do with children in the Algarve, has been brought to you by Algarve Housing, villa rental company in Portugal.
Please let me know if you need any more information!
Enjoy the Algarve with kids!