With more than 150 beaches Algarve in all colors and shapes to choose from, we can rightly say that the Algarve is the perfect beach destination.
It’s mighty hard to pick the most beautiful ones, since they all have their share of charms and it is of course subjective, so we’ve tried to make a nice mix of those we think stand out, each in their own way.
Whether you are on holiday in the Algarve or planning your holiday to the Algarve, Algarve Housing made a top 10 of beaches Algarve for YOU!!!
Top 10 Beaches Algarve:
1. Bordeira/Carrapateira at the West Coast of the Algarve. If you want to avoid the hustle and bustle of the busy tourist area, this is your beach. 3 km long, wild, with a river flowing in, making the riverside with shallow, warm water perfect for families with young children and the wilder sea ideal for surfers. Be prepared to walk quite a bit, crossing rivers, but it makes the adventure all the more fun.
2. Praia da Marinha near Benagil/Carvoeiro/Lagoa. Considered to be one of the finest beaches of Europe, and even listed in the top 100 of the world, this is the beach to go to for some picture-perfect shots. It boasts some stunning rock formations, and with the turquoise-blue background color of the water, here is Algarve’s prettiest postcard. Do go early, though, as it gets packed in summer, and be prepared to climb those long stairs back up to the carpark.
3. Praia da Cacela Velha at the East Algarve. From atop the prettiest of old, Portuguese villages, you can look over what might be the least crowded of Algarvian beaches. On the far east of the Algarve, this long spit of sand in its emerald, shallow water gives it this tropical paradise feeling to it. Plenty of space to have the illusion of a deserted island.
4. Praia da Rocha. The main beach of Portimão, and the beach of the Algarve that has it all: long stretch of sand, making it possible, even in high season, to find a spot at this beach Algarve; lots and lots of options for sports, surfing and boat trips; endless bars and restaurants; paradise for kids due to all the play parks in sand and water. If you like it animated, you’re in the right place.
5. Praia de Vale do Lobo. This is the place to go if you want to spot some celebrities or enjoy a more glamorous beach experience: plenty of sunbeds, a massage station, and some famous restaurants to enjoy the posh lifestyle of the Golden Triangle for a day.
6. Praia Grande Ferragudo. Situated next to the cute fisherman’s village of Ferragudo, bordering both the Atlantic and the Arade River, the calm waters make it the perfect beach in the Algarve for families or not so keen swimmers. It has a huge area, one side next to the river with beautiful views of the fort, and another long stretch of beach with sunbeds and restaurants that get animated with life music and sport-events.
7. Arrifana, West Coast. This lovely beach Algarve is not far from the lovely town of Aljezur, if you are looking for a place to improve your surfing skills, this is your beach. It has several surfing schools in the area, a reliable beach break, and while you lazily wait for your wave, you can enjoy the view of the cliffs surrounding the cove. Also boasts a very popular restaurant on the beach, and some restaurants with a view on the cliff.
8. Praia do Camilo. Situated near Lagos, with easy access, you will find it hard to decide whether to stay on top and take in the breathtaking views, walk along the cliffs to watch those amazing limestone rock formations, or walk down the stairs to touch that inviting water. Whichever it will be, you will be rewarded with beauty all around you. Basic infrastructure, with only one little restaurant, a nice one.
9. Ilha da Tavira. The eastern part of the Algarve has the Parque Natural Ria de Formosa, characterized by the estuaries and sand islands. Ilha da Tavira can be reached by boat from Tavira, provides kilometers stretches of white sand beach of the Algarve, ideal for the nudist, the little kids, the birdlife watchers, the ones who wish to camp for the night and get the feeling the island is theirs.
10. Praia Galé. Close to Albufeira, this central Algarve beach is split into two areas: one with lots of rock pool formations, great little puddles of water where small kids can play; and a more traditional beach on the other side, with plenty water sports for all the family, and a good choice of restaurants.
This is our top 10 of beaches Algarve! For everyone a beach, whether you like surfing, or you need a beach suitable for little children or you are more the party, party person and like the more crowdy, noisy beaches of the Algarve. 10 different beaches!
This article has brought to you by Algarve Housing, unique villa rental company in the Algarve Portugal. For nice villas in the Algarve, please check our website!